Social Icons

Friday 17 May 2013

FIRST TIME GAMING FOR THE “NOT SO GEEKY GIRL”

First time gaming for the "Not so Geeky Girl"


Gamer Girl
 
 

When I was a little girl, I played the odd Mario Brothers, Pacman and other well known games from the early nineties.
It was only when meeting my husband at the ripe age of almost thirty, that I got re-introduced to gaming, this time on an Xbox 360.  I thought he was a bit nerdy for playing games, but then I got hooked myself.  NO! I am not nerdy, okay maybe just a little!
We started off with Call of Duty.  And it was a nightmare to get use to the controller. I couldn’t even bring myself to walk forward let alone shoot the enemy.  Luckily my nerdy husband had the patience to teach me.  We played Xbox Arcade games to teach me how to use my controller, and that changed everything for me.  I wasn’t afraid of the controller anymore, and I could now kick some serious arse in Call of Duty.  Just a pity that when you play Call of Duty split screen and you don’t finish the whole game, you will start from scratch the next time!  Darn – and for the “not so geeky gaming girl” this meant: chuck it in the fuck-it bucket!
Next mission: Gears of War 3.  I loved it!! It gave me such a kick to kill aliens, all that built up frustration and anger (from being a bean counter – NO THAT IS NOT NERDY!) was now aimed at aliens and no longer my husband! BUT then, my profile got corrupted and there was no more Gears of War 3 L,  apparently it was a common problem when you played split screen co-op, thank you Epic Games for ruining that for me.   See below a news article.  See I did not seek an excuse to rather go paint my toenails.


 
Gears of War 3 bug crashing consoles, corrupting profiles
Epic “working every second” to resolve the problemQuinton BronkhorstOctober 11, 2011
If you were planning on a split-screen co-op session of Gears of War 3 any time soon, you might just want to hold off on that a bit.
According to an increasing number of reports over on Epic’s forums, some kind of serious bug is hanging the game at load, and rendering one or both of the profiles present unable to play at all after that.
The bug seems to turn up in multiple game modes, including Horde, campaign, and versus multiplayer.
For the moment, Epic’s official line is that “Getting this resolved is a priority for Epic. We are collecting information internally, sourcing as much as possible from the community and exploring potential fixes. We do not have any recommendations to share with players just yet.”
Or, basically, don’t play split-screen co-op.
Don’t even play Gears of War 3.
Don’t even switch on your Xbox, man.

The worst bit? Gears of War 2 had exactly the same bug
-       Source: mygaming.co.za

Luckily I forgave Epic games and we started with Gears of War 1, because Capcom’s Resident Evil 5 was just too evil, no not the gruelling zombies, but they are very stingy giving away achievements AND you find yourself backed up in a corner too much for my liking. 

I am now on a journey discovering the weird and wonderful world of gaming.  And because there is not so many games that will attract a girls attention in a gaming store, I might just one day write my own game.
 
Okay hubby, “I got you back like a butt crack” lets continue with our gaming!

- By Yvette de Villiers

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sponsor